The thoughts that sustain us and the places that comfort.
Louise, sitting on her needlepoint prisoner-stitched cushion, steers the little black car past Toynbee Hall on Commercial Street, E1 where the Atlantic girl-flier Amelia Earhart had once been fêted. She passes in close proximity to Carter House, built in 1928, set back on the Holland Estate opposite the Jewish Soup Kitchen.
Pointing the shiny nose of the German motor toward the A406, Louise proceeds to hold her nerve until the M25 junction where she joins the M4 for a clear run home, the steady diesel thrum, to the land of her birth. The air is crisp as frozen linen and the stars are out tonight as she crosses the Severn Bridge, on past the towering Celtic Manor and the dragon-eyed fire of Port Talbot steel works. Gwasanaethau calls to her for coffee but the choir of the river by Awelfro pulls harder.
A Dutch-built Fokker Friendship airplane touched down in the bay of Burry Port, South Wales on the 17th June 1928, a flight of twenty hours and forty minutes. Wilmer Stultz was the pilot and Louis Gordon the co-pilot and mechanic. On this occasion Amelia Earhart was tasked to keep the flight log.
Louise turns off by the Jerusalem Chapel, twisty steep and home. A quiet committee waits in the garden, cats and owls and small scurrying things anticipating a warm chimney wall.